Friday, May 30, 2014

Trip to Belfast, Northern Ireland for the Weekend

Today was an amazing day as we had the opportunity to hear from some of the most elite entrepreneur business men in Northern Ireland. 

I felt like a soaked sponge by the end of the day as I tried to soak in every bit of knowledge that was shared by these great leaders. 

I know that compensation is a big factor in peoples'decision of where they choose to work and whether they choose to stay or not, but is was interesting to hear the statistics on two greater factors for people other than compensation. 

1) Complexity - variety of tasks and challenging work. 
2) Accomplishment - actually seeing results that your work is providing. 

One of my favorite quotes of today that I will paraphrase, "if you do what you say your going to do, it will see you through." I think this is so true as in any role, however, I think it is especially true as a leader because those who follow you will continue to trust and follow you if you do what you say you are going to do.  It also applies to all aspects of your life, not just your career. 

Additional insight I captured is that goals are not strategies.  Goals are used to measure strategy.  If you don't have good strategies, you can go through a lot of money in a short amount of time, with little to show for it, which may be the difference in a startup's success or failure


Titanic Museum Tour

This is where they built the titanic. 

The size of the Titanic was remarkable for that time period.

Tie-down anchor 


2 comments: